Figure 8 straps are well known for their shape - which resembles an ‘8’. Essentially, this form of strap has two loops, with a connection in the middle. To use, the connection point goes around the bar, the two loops go around your wrist. Figure 8 Straps are commonly used among the gym to increase grip strength, and allow you to lift heavier weight. This overall allows you to train bigger muscle groups harder, and facilitate increases in strength, muscle mass and performance!
While there are 2 different types of lifting straps - Long Tail and Figure 8 - Figure 8 is often regarded the easiest to use. That is, because they are fast to put on, tend to stay put easier and do not require any “wrapping around the bar” like long tail lifting straps.
What makes the MAK Exclusive lifting straps unique, is the attention to detail in the padding’s along these straps. Too often, Figure 8 Straps feature simply a uniform material - with no padding at the wrists. After too many years of gaining cuts, rashes and torn skin from scratchy straps, this was an essential feature requested by numbers of our MAK legends. You guys asked, we listened. Welcome to the most comfortable straps this world has seen.
Why would you use Figure 8 Lifting Straps?
- You feel yourself losing grip in the gym
- You feel your ability to challenge yourself with heavier weights is limited by your grip strength
- You are hitting higher reps and struggle to hold onto the bar for longer sets
- You go to a gym where the bars are quite slippery
- You would like a little additional protection on your hands from calluses and ripped skin without compromising grip strength
- You find long tail lifting straps too hard to wrap around the bar
- You like a more fixed feeling of the straps - with both loops around your wrist
- You use a mixed grip on some lifts and find it difficult to use Long Tail Lifting Straps with this grip
What exercises would Figure 8 Lifting Straps be helpful for?
We find that lifting straps are particularly beneficial for all kinds of “pulling exercises”. For example, this may include:
- Bent over Rows
- Seated Rows
- Lat Pulldowns
- Romanian Deadlifts
- Machine Rows
Can I use Figure 8 Lifting Straps in competition?
Depending on the specific rules of the sport and federation you are lifting within, you may be able to use MAK Exclusive Figure 8 Lifting Straps in a competition event. However, generally, we are aware that most powerlifting, weightlifting and Crossfit events do not permit use of any lifting straps on competition days. However, Lifting Straps could be a highly advantageous tool to use in training for a competition day, to achieve higher training workload, and therefore increased natural strength levels.